Software update Aixtream 3.0 with support for SRT, DAB, MPE encapsulation and more.
With this update, aixtream software supports even more transport protocols and standards.
Ferncasts software solution aixtream™️ is a scalable software, running as server or VM installation. It is constantly being improved and new features are added. Fitting a major capstone release, the newest version 3.0 expands the possibilities of aixtream with a broad range of new functionalities and supported formats. Furthermore, it lays the groundwork for even more additions coming later this year. Ferncast promises that by the end of the year, aixtream will be closer to the ideal of “any live audio” than ever before.
The highlights of version 3.0 are the following new features:
- SRT input and output (Secure Reliable Transport)
- SNMP monitoring (Simple Network Management Protocol) up to v3
- DAB reception and transcoding
- DVB MPE (Multiprotocol Encapsulation ETSI EN 301 192)
- Internal Icecast server
Moreover, some other features have been added or improved in version 3.0 in addition to general bug fixing. Among these features, customers can find:
- Support for AAC ADTS (in addition to LATM/LOAS)
- Recover of unfinished recording files
- Service type for DVB configurable
- Update of the Recorder Group widget
- Various bugfixes and minor improvements
As a teaser for the release of version 3.1, Ferncast would like to announce that aixtream can soon function as a pure UECP encoder. This update will be accompanied by various RDS improvements as well. Stay tuned for more information!
Technical details on the new features:
- Secure Reliable Transport is a media transport protocol. It offers streaming of media content with lower latency and greater reliability compared to similar protocols. SRT is becoming an in-creasingly widespread choice among audio broadcasters too. For more information on the design of SRT, see: https://www.srtalliance.org/
- Simple Network Management Protocol is a widespread standard for monitoring of managed devices over IP. Customers who prefer the well-established standard of SNMP over aixtream’s own REST API can now do the monitoring their preferred way.
- Digital Audio Broadcasting is a standard for the broadcasting of digital audio. The aixtream software is now capable of receiving DAB ensembles (appropriate hardware provided), demuxing and transcoding them into various output formats, including MPEG TS.
- Multiprotocol Encapsulation, or MPE for short, is a technique for using MPEG TS to encapsulate IP data. It was introduced with ETSI EN 301 192. The addition of this in aixtream further expands the use cases for aixtream. Pure data can be input and processed as customers require.
- Support for internal Icecast servers means that aixtream can now directly receive Icecast streams instead of having to take them from the web. This simplifies the use of Icecast streams as an input method. As with all inputs, users can use them for the generation of any sort of output.