Software update aixtream 2.5 which now supports WebRTC technology
This technology opens up opportunities for entirely new application of audio streaming and improves real-time monitoring.
Ferncast, developer of innovative audio transmission software solutions for professional live audio applications is happy to announce the release of version 2.5 of aixtream. This release also marks the implementation of WebRTC technology in aixtream.
WebRTC (Web Real-Time Communication) is a technology that enables web applications and sites to capture and optionally stream audio and video via the internet using widespread audio and video standards available to nearly every user. WebRTC has become the leading standard for allowing quick audio transmission with applications that work in web browsers or as simple phone apps without any significant setup by the user.
WebRTC in aixtream serves two distinct purposes:
- The listen-in function, which allows users to monitor the signals being processed by an aixtream system directly from an accessing computer or mobile device, can now be used with WebRTC instead of HTTP. This greatly reduces latency.
- Input and output of WebRTC audio. Users can now send audio to an aixtream system via web browser and mobile apps. Likewise, aixtream can output audio which can be received by such platforms. This opens up extraordinary opportunities for using professional solution like aixtream with simple tools.
For example, Ferncast has received customer inquiries for using the new WebRTC feature to allow operators of public announcement systems to work from home. The operators can use consumer audio hardware connected to their computers to input WebRTC audio via a straightforward web platform, which then forwards the audio to an aixtream system. WebRTC applications have also long been used to allow voice actors and similar talents to work remotely without having to visit the sound studio or customer directly. Now, customers have a highly professional alternative available.
Customers interested in enabling WebRTC for their aixtream installations (listen-in or full application) are encouraged to contact Ferncast about receiving a license upgrade.
Using these developments as a basis, the Ferncast development team develloped a multiplatform radio producer app with a variety of functions including streaming and interview management in 2022.
Moreover, some other features have been added or improved in version 2.5 in addition to general bug fixing. Among these features, customers will find the following.
- Measurement PIPEs that end with a levelmeter for the express purpose of measuring levels can now be configured.
- Improved level monitoring, including separate activation threshold and hold time
- Transmission of program reference level for DVB with AAC has been implemented.
- New Widget to control Delay element via Dashboard.
- Smart Control Applets can now apply multiple Presets as an action.
- RAM usage with HLS optimized
- FTPS archive upload fixed
- DVB UECP workaround for faulty receivers (avoids spontaneous loudness changes)
Bernd Geiser, Senior Audio Engineer at Ferncast, commented the new release.
For this release of aixtream, in addition to the added features, we have also done a lot of “behind the scenes” work to set the stage for exciting developments coming in the near and mid-term future. With easily accessible and versatile instruments to access and deliver audio streams, for example based on WebRTC, we are now able to deliver cloud-based services that leverage the full power and flexibility of aixtream even for short-term or small-scale jobs.
Ferncast’s software solution aixtream™️ is a scalable software, running as server or VM installation. It is constantly being improved and new features are added.